All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer. (Acts 2:42, NLT)
Our church has a very rich and wonderful history, or should we say histories.
We were once two separate denominations. Then in 1968, our previous denominations merged, and Germantown found itself with two United Methodist Churches. Eventually in 2001, we became one congregation, and oh how God has blessed us since then.
Two Churches, One Lord
The Germantown United Methodist Church is a merger, first of two denominations, and then two congregations.
Our United Brethren Heritage
Steeped in history, Good Shepherd United Methodist Church had the distinction of being the oldest organized congregation of the United Brethern Church west of the Alleghany Mountains. It had a continuous history of existence since 1806, with its first meeting in the home of Andrew Zeller. Zeller, the founder of the church, organized the “class” which became Germantown United Brethren Church… (Click for more information)
Our Methodist Heritage
The Methodist Church was one of the last churches to locate in Germantown due to the few Methodist who lived in the community. The first church as a combined United Brethren and Methodist Episcopal was held in the old U. B. Church on East Warren Street (now the Grange Hall)… (Click for more information)